You will forget about a white-fleshed baked potato with sour cream after trying this recipe! This healthy version is ten times better for you and your taste buds, and thanks to the greens, it’s loaded with vitamins A, C, and K.
So about a year ago, a member of my household decided that one of the ways they would start to live a healthier lifestyle, was by becoming a vegetarian. One of the first things I remember saying when the news broke was “all good, as long as I don’t have to cook tofu!” I’m a bit baffled by its purpose – but that’s different story.
One member of my household becoming a vegetarian meant that I had to learn more about meat free options and research tasty vegetarian meal ideas. Not a problem. This foodie loves a challenge and also loves learning about new foods.
This news also meant that I would have to cook meals to accommodate the new vegetarian and non-vegetarians in my household. I’ve had a lot of fun with this and have accumulated and tried many new recipe ideas. I’ve also learned that being a vegetarian allows you to feast on a wide range of new and wonderful foods.
Today I am sharing with you, one recipe and pictures of a vegetarian meal I enjoy cooking – Stuffed Baked Sweet Potato with Broccoli, Swiss Chard and Spicy Hummus. This meal is absolutely delicious and a favourite to date!
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 cups swiss chard leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Ginger, minced
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- Lime juice
- Sea salt (optional)
- Black pepper (optional)
- Your favourite chickpea hummus!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
- Bake sweet potatoes for an hour, or until fork tender.
- Roll chard leaves and slice thinly.
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil and add the minced ginger, cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. Add broccoli and sauté for 2 minutes until bright green. Add chopped chard and lime juice, and cook uncovered for 2 to 3 minutes until leaves are wilted. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste (optional).
- Pile the potatoes high with the chard, broccoli, and hummus and enjoy!
Meat free and delicious!
Cooking vegetarian meal options, has opened up a new world filled with great, healthy foods! I’ve also discovered, as with this recipe, that there are many vegetarian meal options packed with essential nutrients needed to keep my family member healthy, and that’s the bottom line.
I’ve happily accepted this meat free challenge!