A recent trip to the farmers’ market inspired me to think of unique ways to use the fresh ingredients bought and the focus was eggplant. Hence, the making of this Roasted Eggplant, Tomato and Feta Appetizer.
- 1 large eggplant, slice
- 2 large tomatoes, slice
- Sea salt, use as desired
- Black pepper, use as desired
- Fresh parsley
- Dried oregano
- Feta cheese, use as desired
- Olive oil dressing
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Like making a pizza, place eggplant on non-stick baking tray. Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Top with sliced tomatoes.
- Top tomatoes with feta cheese, fresh parsley and oregano.
- Drizzle with olive oil or your favourite olive oil dressing.
- Place in oven and roast 20 – 25 minutes.
Serve immediately as an appetizer or enjoy as a light snack. Tastes great served in a sandwich as well.
Makes 8 – 10 pieces
Eggplant: This deeply purple and glossy vegetable known for its unique taste and texture, caught my eye at the farmer’s market and inspired me to make this recipe. While the different varieties of eggplant do vary slightly in taste and texture, one can generally describe the eggplant as having a pleasantly bitter taste and spongy texture. In many recipes, eggplant fulfills the role of being a complementary ingredient that balances the surrounding flavours of the other more pronounced ingredients.