Hello, and welcome to my blog! ‘Tis the season for pumpkins and this bright orange fruit (yes, it is a fruit), is not just for decoration or Jack-O-Lanterns. For the first time ever, I set out to buy one large pumpkin with the intention to actually cook with it; find other ways to utilize this fruit. My goal; five dishes.
Dish number one on the hit list is this delicious Pumpkin Coconut Rice.
- 3 cups pumpkin, small cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- Scotch bonnet pepper, use half or as desired
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 3/4 cup coconut cream
- 1 tsp allspice
- Sea salt, use as desired
- Fresh ground pepper, use as desired
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups rice, washed (for this recipe I used long grained white rice)
Preparation and cook Time: 45 Minutes
- Using a large non-stick pot, add oil, onion, garlic, ginger, thyme, allspice, sea salt and ground pepper. Place the lid on the pot and cook ingredients for 4 minutes using medium heat.
- Add pumpkin to pot. Close lid and cook for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add rice to pot and stir in with the other ingredients. Close lid and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add coconut cream, scotch bonnet pepper, and just enough water to cover the rice. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. Remove thyme sprigs and enjoy.
The ginger in this dish gives it an extra spicy flavour. You can also add salted fish as a meat alternative.
What a great way to utilize a pumpkin! Am I right? Stay tuned to see recipes for these next four pumpkin-licious dishes: Pumpkin Pecan Bread; Roasted Pumpkin Seeds; Pumpkin Pie Pancakes and Pumpkin Jerk Fries.
Hope you’ll enjoy making this recipe. Be sure to share your version and pic(s) with me.