Aside from being the first leafy green vegetable I ever cooked, the exciting thing about Callaloo is, the many ways you can whip it up and serve it. Callaloo is a popular dish served in different variants across the Caribbean.
- 3 cups Callaloo
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- Scotch bonnet pepper, use half or as desired
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 3/4 cup coconut cream
- 1 tsp allspice
- Sea salt, use as desired
- Fresh ground pepper, use as desired
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups rice, washed (for this recipe I used long grained white rice)
PREPARATION AND COOK TIME: 45 MINUTES
- Using a large non-stick pot, add oil, onion, garlic, ginger, thyme, allspice, sea salt and ground pepper. Place the lid on the pot and cook ingredients for 4 minutes using medium heat.
- Add Callaloo to pot. Close lid and cook for 3 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add rice to pot and stir in with the other ingredients. Close lid and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add coconut cream, scotch bonnet pepper, and just enough water to cover the rice. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. Remove thyme sprigs and enjoy.
The ginger in this dish gives it an extra spicy flavour. You can also add salted fish as a meat alternative.
See more recipes: COOKING GREEN GOODNESS
In my opinion, greens are delicious! This section of my blog is strictly dedicated to leafy greens and green foods, and how to incorporate them into everyday meal ideas.Here you will learn about a variety of greens and how to cook them to be tasty. At the very least, you might decide to try something new and challenge yourself to continue Cooking Green Goodness. This Callaloo Coconut Ginger Rice is a tasty beginning!
See similar recipe: Pumpkin Coconut Rice