Fun Fact: The name “bok choy” originated from the Chinese word for “soup spoon” because of the shape of its leaves.
Bok Choy is a deep green leafy vegetable that is very versatile in its methods of preparation. Eat this vegetable raw in salads, marinate it a dozen ways as a stir fry, or sautee with ginger. You also cannot go wrong with sesame oil, fresh garlic and lots of chili heat as in this tasty recipe. After cooking, the best part is that you get to consume virtually all parts of bok choy without much trimming – more bang for your bok! If you do not have bok choy, any other fresh leafy green can stand in here. This recipe is quick and easy to prepare, it’s green and it’s good!
- 4 heads bok choy, slice each in half
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted (or you can substitute with your favourite nuts)
- 2 tbsps sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp Sriracha, hot chili sauce or chili pepper (or use as desired)
- 1 tbsp tamari
- Wash bok choy and place in a colander or on paper towel to dry.
- Whisk together, your hot sauce and tamari.
- If your sesame seeds are raw, place them in a dry skillet and over medium heat for 1 – 2 minutes. Stir constantly and remove from heat once they begin to brown.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium to high heat. Add crushed garlic and stir for 30 seconds to avoid burning. Add the bok choy to the skillet, cut side down, to sear. Flip after 1 minute to sear the other side.
- Pour hot sauce and tamari mix over the greens and give it a quick stir. Cover and let cook for 2 – 3 minutes. Test the bok choy by piercing the stem with a fork. If tender, they’re done. Plate, sprinkle on your sesame seeds or nuts and serve.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 7 Minutes
Note: If you don’t have bok choy, any leafy green will do. You may need to increase the cook time however if using heartier greens. Get creative and experiment with a variety of foods and cooking methods. You’ll forget you’re eating something healthy.
Click here to see more on Cooking Green Goodness. A colorful section of my blog dedicated to showing you how to incorporate leafy greens and green foods into everyday meal ideas. Explore healthy eating options, meals and recipes. Discover flavourful combinations you may not have thought possible, or e`ven just learn about the benefits of a health conscious diet inclusive of leafy greens and green foods. At the very least, you might decide to try something new and challenge yourself to continue Cooking Green Goodness!