Today’s easy-to-prepare salad is a healthy mix of massaged kale, orange and cranberries, dressed to taste with a sweet, crunchy finish. For the adventurous salad maker, the sky’s the limit! You can easily find a favourite meal here that satisfies on every level. Play around with the ingredients until you find what suits you in terms of time and taste. Nuts and seeds are trendy and never out of place in any salad. The dressing is also where you get to add even more flavour.
Crunchy Kale, Orange & Cranberry Salad
Dressed to taste with a sweet, crunchy finish.
For the Salad
- 1 bunch kale, stems and inner ribs removed, leaves thinly sliced
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup dried cranberries (more as desired)
- 1 ½ cups crispy whole wheat crackers, coarsely crushed
For the Dressing
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 stalks green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon, freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon coarse sea salt (optional)
- Place the prepared kale in a large bowl.
- In a small skillet, heat the olive oil, add the green onion and cook over medium heat for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the honey. Season to taste with the salt and pepper. Remove from heat and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Pour the dressing over the kale and toss well to coat. Add the orange slices, cranberries and crackers; toss again.
Massage your kale! While massaging your food might seem a bit odd, here are a few reasons why this is a good idea: massaging kale transforms it from being bitter and tough to turning silky and sweet; It’s easy to do – simply sprinkle with olive oil (or in this case, a sprinkle of the dressing before tossing), take bunches of kale in both hands, rub them together and repeat. The leaves will become visibly darker and will shrink in size.